Sunday, November 1, 2009

What do you think?

Today a member of church spoke about a missions trip to Uganda that will take place during winter break with a team that included him and 5 other members. They needed to raise $18,000 because one plane ticket cost $2000.

After service, a friend and I had a discussion about the need for $18,000 from a more economical perspective.
Would it be more beneficial to just donate the $18,000 rather than spending it on expenses to get to the mission site?
Some points we discussed were
1. sending money could equate to saying money will fix whatever issues are occurring at that location
2. the importance of establishing a relationship in order to show God's love and have fellowship
3. is the work these missionaries accomplish in a short amount of time worth the costs that it took to get them there?
4. who is the missions trip benefitting more, the missionary or the people?

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. From the point of view of someone who's actually gone on them, short-term missions hardly ever make lasting changes in the country they are sent. What we were told every day from the first day was that we were there primarily to support the local church that was hosting us and to help as much as we can during the month we were there. Short-term missions aren't going to make huge changes no matter how big their dreams or goals. A month simply isn't enough time to assimilate into a culture, learn the language, and make lasting impact.

    At the same time, I do believe that short-term missions can fulfill a different purpose that will do far more good than simply donating $18,000. When you support short-term missionaries, you aren't making a donation, you're gambling. You're gambling that your small investment will produce eternal results. You're gambling that one of the people on that team will somehow receive a heart for that particular country while on the field and go on to commit themselves to full time missionary work, which I consider to be priceless.

    So, in the end, do I support the idea of short-term missions? No. Do I support short-term missionaries? Yes. And that is why I continue to try to go on them myself. I want to cultivate a heart for a country and hopefully it can happen through these trips. Not to mention the fact that short-term missions are incredible growing experiences for myself and my team members.

    And that's my two cents on the matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and, of course, God can do anything so there's always the chance that one of these trips could yield something beyond any and all human expectation but... that's just a thought haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what the answer to your questions are (I have a hunch but I don't know for sure), but you definitely are asking the RIGHt questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my experience from a few mission trips

    2) that importance is usually why churches will find that it is worth spending that much
    3) not really..
    4) missionary first without a doubt. i'm sure the people there benefit but the most gain is of the missionary.

    overall short term missions aren't effective (even my mission director tells our team this), but he finds it worth it since this experience could open our eyes and lead us into making decisions to do long term missions.

    ReplyDelete